Waitaki Dam Excursion
The event is a collaboration between the Rūnanga and Meridian Energy . Meridian owns and operates seven hydro stations, six within the Waitaki hydro scheme. Meridian have offered through consultation with Rūnanga to take whānau on a guided tour of one of the working dams ( Waitaki ). The purpose of the tour is to explain how the dams generate electricity, their impact on the environment and wildlife including tuna.
Schedule of Events for Saturday 28th Oct 2017
- Whānau to meet at Waihao Marae no later than 10am or make their own way to the Waitaki Dam arriving at 11am
- Travel in convoy using Rūnanga vans to Waitaki (arriving 11am)
- Work Place Health and Safety brief (Meridian Staff)
- Inside Waitaki Dam or Trip to Aviemore Dam
- Discussion on Environmental Collaboration
- Lunch by the river will take place as appropriate
- Depart (3-3.30)
Due to seven (7) flights of stairs needing to be traversed, those with any mobility issues will be limited to top only tours. All ages and fitness/mobility levels will be accommodated for.
Please RSVP The office so transport, Meridian Staff and lunch numbers can be arranged