Are you enrolled to vote?

| Posted by:

Enrol to vote in the local elections

The local elections are being held in October this year when we choose who will be on our local councils and health boards.

It’s an important choice because councils and health boards make decisions about services we use every day in our local communities, like hospitals, buses, rubbish collection, parks and pools.

You need to be on the electoral roll to be able to vote in the local elections. It’s easy to enrol or update your details. Take a few minutes to do it now, so you’re ready to vote.  Go online at, or call 0800 36 76 56 to ask for an enrolment form to be sent to you.

You can enrol and vote if you’re 18 or older, a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and have lived in New Zealand for more than one year continuously at some time in your life. You can also enrol when you turn 17, then when you turn 18, you’ll be ready to vote.

The local elections are held by a postal vote so you need to be enrolled at the right address to get your voting papers from the council in the mail. Anyone who was enrolled before 16 August will be sent voting papers.  Anyone enrolling or updating their details after 16 August will need to contact their local council to arrange a special vote.

Local councils start sending out voting papers on 20 September and voting closes at midday on Saturday 12 October.

For more information on enrolling to vote, go to

For information on voting in the local elections, visit